A Guide for Leaders and Managers
by Gary C. Kessler & Steven D. Shepard
This Web page is devoted to providing updated or additional information with which to supplement Maritime Cybersecurity: A Guide for Leaders and Managers.
- Papers, Articles, and Other Resources Related to the Book
- Ancillary Material
- How to Purchase the Book
Page last updated: 16 October 2020
Papers, Articles, and Other Resources Related to the Book
Chapter 2. Cybersecurity Basics
Chapter 3. Case Studies: Cyber Attacks on the Maritime Sector
- Cimpanu, C. (2020, August 2). Google: Eleven Zero-Days Detected in the Wild in the First Half of 2020. ZDNet. https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-eleven-zero-days-detected-in-the-wild-in-the-first-half-of-2020/
- Mactavish, A. (2020, August 7). Cyber-Crime A Continuing Concern. Seatrade Maritime News. https://www.seatrade-maritime.com/opinions-analysis/cyber-crime-continuing-concern
- Multi-State Information Sharing and Analysis Center (MS-ISAC). (2020, September). Ransomware Guide. Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA). https://www.cisa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/CISA_MS-ISAC_Ransomware%20Guide_S508C.pdf
- Tischer, M., Durumeric, Z., Bursztein, E., & Bailey, M. (2017, March/April). The Danger of USB Drives. IEEE Security & Privacy, 15(2), 62-69.
Chapter 5. Shipboard Communication Systems
- Shen, C., & Baker, J. (2020, September 28). CMA CGM Confirms Ransomware Attack. Lloyd's List Maritime Intelligence.
- Sonnemaker, T. (2020, August 3). Garmin Reportedly Paid Hackers a Multimillion Dollar Ransom to Recover Files After a Cyberattack That Left Their Services Offline for Several Days Last Month. Business Insider. https://www.businessinsider.com/garmin-paid-multimillion-dollar-ransom-to-hackers-report-2020-8
- Truong, K. (2020, July 28). The Garmin Ransomware Hack is Horrifying. Vice. https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5dzkd5/the-garmin-ransomware-hack-is-horrifying
- United States Coast Guard (USCG). (2020, September 30). Malicious Email Spoofing Incidents. Marine Safety Information Bulletin (MSIB 19-20). https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO%20Documents/5p/MSIB/2020/USCG-MSIB-19-20-CYBER-SPOOFING.pdf
Chapter 6. Navigation Systems
- Goodin, D. (2020, August 5). Insecure Satellite Internet is Threatening Ship and Plane Safety. Ars Technica. https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/08/insecure-satellite-internet-is-threatening-ship-and-plane-safety/
Chapter 7. Industrial Control and Autonomous Systems
- Awan, M.S.K., & Al Ghamdi, M.A. (2019, October 2). Understanding the Vulnerabilities in Digital Components of An Integrated Bridge System (IBS). Journal of Marine Science and Engineering, 7(10), 350. https://doi.org/10.3390/jmse7100350
- Svilicic, B., Rudan, I., Frančić, V., & Doričić, M. (2019). Shipboard ECDIS Cyber Security: Third-Party Component Threats. Scientific Journal of Maritime Research, 33(2), 176-180. https://doi.org/10.31217/p.33.2.7
- Tucker, P. (2020, July 31). The Air Force's Latest GPS Alternative: Earth's Magnetic Fields. Defense One. https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2020/07/air-forces-latest-gps-alternative-earths-magnetic-fields/167387/
Chapter 8. Strategies for Maritime Cyberdefense
- Advancement for Autonomous Operations on Deep-Sea Ships. (2020, October 2). The Maritime Executive. https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/advancement-for-autonomous-operations-on-deep-sea-ships
- Dow, M. (2020, August 31). Rise of Ransomware: Why OT is a Prime Target for Cybercriminals. Security. https://www.securitymagazine.com/articles/93197-rise-of-ransomware-why-ot-is-a-prime-target-for-cybercriminals
- Horowitz, B.M. (2020, January-February). Cyberattack-Resilient Cyberphysical Systems. IEEE Security & Privacy, 18(1), 55-60. DOI: 10.1109/MSEC.2019.2947123.
- Humayed, A., Lin, J., Li, F., & Luo, B. (2017, December). Cyber-Physical Systems Security A Survey. IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 4(6), 1802-1831. DOI: 10.1109/JIOT.2017.2703172.
- MASSPorts initiative launched to develop autonomous shipping. (2020, August 6). Digital Ship. https://thedigitalship.com/news/electronics-navigation/item/6737-massports-initiative-launched-to-develop-autonomous-shipping
- The Collision Regulations and Autonomous Shipping. (2020, July). Shipping Law Insights blog, Norton Rose Fulbright. https://www.nortonrosefulbright.com/en/knowledge/publications/5fedab67/the-collision-regulations-and-autonomous-shipping
- Arampatzis, A. (2020, August 2). The Biggest Challenges and Best Practices to Mitigate Risks in Maritime Cybersecurity. Tripwire. https://www.tripwire.com/state-of-security/security-data-protection/biggest-challenges-best-practices-mitigate-risks-maritime-cybersecurity/
- New ASTM International Standard Aims to Reduce Maritime Cyber Risk. (2020, July 30). The Maritime Executive. https://www.maritime-executive.com/corporate/new-astm-international-standard-aims-to-reduce-maritime-cyber-risk
Maritime newsletters that cover cybersecurity
- Coast Guard Maritime Commons
- Digital Ship newsletter
- Hellenic Shipping News
- JOC.com Maritime News
- Lloyd's List
- The Maritime Executive
Ship tracking Web sites mentioned in Chapter 3:
- My Ship Tracking
- Ship Tracker
- Vessel Finder
Hack The Sea 2.0 Village at DEF CON 28 (2020)
- Build A Raspberry AIS
- GPS:AIS Spoofing Attacks and Some Tools
- Protecting AIS with Public Key Crypto Methods
Buy the Book!
The book can be purchased from Amazon in Kindle or print format.
Get more information about Gary (Amazon Author Page | Web site) and Steve (Amazon Author Page | Web site).
© 2020, Gary C. Kessler & Steven D. Shepard