A Guide for Leaders and Managers
by Gary C. Kessler & Steven D. Shepard
This Web page is devoted to providing updated or additional information with which to supplement Maritime Cybersecurity: A Guide for Leaders and Managers.
- Papers, Articles, and Other Resources Related to the Book
- Ancillary Material
- How to Purchase the Book
Papers, Articles, and Other Resources Related to the Book
Chapter 2. Cybersecurity Basics
Chapter 3. Case Studies: Cyber Attacks on the Maritime Sector
- Cimpanu, C. (2020, August 2). Google: Eleven Zero-Days Detected in the Wild in the First Half of 2020. ZDNet. https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-eleven-zero-days-detected-in-the-wild-in-the-first-half-of-2020/
- Mactavish, A. (2020, August 7). Cyber-Crime A Continuing Concern. Seatrade Maritime News. https://www.seatrade-maritime.com/opinions-analysis/cyber-crime-continuing-concern
Chapter 5. Shipboard Communication Systems
- Sonnemaker, T. (2020, August 3). Garmin Reportedly Paid Hackers a Multimillion Dollar Ransom to Recover Files After a Cyberattack That Left Their Services Offline for Several Days Last Month. Business Insider. https://www.businessinsider.com/garmin-paid-multimillion-dollar-ransom-to-hackers-report-2020-8
- Truong, K. (2020, July 28). The Garmin Ransomware Hack is Horrifying. Vice. https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5dzkd5/the-garmin-ransomware-hack-is-horrifying
Chapter 6. Navigation Systems
- Goodin, D. (2020, August 5). Insecure Satellite Internet is Threatening Ship and Plane Safety. Ars Technica. https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/08/insecure-satellite-internet-is-threatening-ship-and-plane-safety/
Chapter 7. Industrial Control and Autonomous Systems
- Tucker, P. (2020, July 31). The Air Force's Latest GPS Alternative: Earth's Magnetic Fields. Defense One. https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2020/07/air-forces-latest-gps-alternative-earths-magnetic-fields/167387/
Chapter 8. Strategies for Maritime Cyberdefense
- Dow, M. (2020, August 31). Rise of Ransomware: Why OT is a Prime Target for Cybercriminals. Security. https://www.securitymagazine.com/articles/93197-rise-of-ransomware-why-ot-is-a-prime-target-for-cybercriminals
- Horowitz, B.M. (2020, January-February). Cyberattack-Resilient Cyberphysical Systems. IEEE Security & Privacy, 18(1), 55-60. DOI: 10.1109/MSEC.2019.2947123.
- Humayed, A., Lin, J., Li, F., & Luo, B. (2017, December). Cyber-Physical Systems Security A Survey. IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 4(6), 1802-1831. DOI: 10.1109/JIOT.2017.2703172.
- MASSPorts initiative launched to develop autonomous shipping. (2020, August 6). Digital Ship. https://thedigitalship.com/news/electronics-navigation/item/6737-massports-initiative-launched-to-develop-autonomous-shipping
- The Collision Regulations and Autonomous Shipping. (2020, July). Shipping Law Insights blog, Norton Rose Fulbright. https://www.nortonrosefulbright.com/en/knowledge/publications/5fedab67/the-collision-regulations-and-autonomous-shipping
- Arampatzis, A. (2020, August 2). The Biggest Challenges and Best Practices to Mitigate Risks in Maritime Cybersecurity. Tripwire. https://www.tripwire.com/state-of-security/security-data-protection/biggest-challenges-best-practices-mitigate-risks-maritime-cybersecurity/
- New ASTM International Standard Aims to Reduce Maritime Cyber Risk. (2020, July 30). The Maritime Executive. https://www.maritime-executive.com/corporate/new-astm-international-standard-aims-to-reduce-maritime-cyber-risk
Ship tracking Web sites mentioned in Chapter 3:
- My Ship Tracking
- Ship Tracker
- Vessel Finder
Hack The Sea 2.0 Village at DEF CON 28 (2020)
- Build A Raspberry AIS
- GPS:AIS Spoofing Attacks and Some Tools
- Protecting AIS with Public Key Crypto Methods
Buy the Book!
The book can be purchased from Amazon in Kindle or print format.
Get more information about Gary (Amazon Author Page | Web site) and Steve (Amazon Author Page | Web site).
© 2020, Gary C. Kessler & Steven D. Shepard